Seneca said: “Some drugs are more dangerous than diseases themselves.”
All drugs have side effects. Some reactions can be even the causes of death. A special department of clinical research controls security in the domestic drug manufacturing of drugs. This is the task of a specialist in drug safety.
Assessment and prevention of ADRs has a special importance in the era of globalization of pharmacological science. Pharmaceutical supervision service observes the effectiveness of drug treatment and eveluates the risks of side effects. Specialist on drug safety is considered a figure number one in the prevention of dangerous side effects. According to My Canadian Pharmacy, this specialty is called differently in foreign pharmaceutical companies: pharmaceutical supervision manager, pharmacovigilance manager, affiliate safety representative, pharmaceutical safety manager. But all they perform the same function.
Drug safety my canadian pharmacy specialist is responsible for the collection, processing and transmission of information related to the safety of medicines taking the international requirements into account.
This is a relatively new specialty. Therefore, it is quite rare so far. There is not so many experienced specialists on the pharmaceutical market. But this problem is of global importance, that is why the profession is rapidly developing. Drug safety also depends on the systems of national pharmaceutical supervision, monitoring of the drugs quality, correct work of experts.
Most dangerous side effects (60%) can be avoided if a patient eliminates their causes:
- Wrong diagnosis;
- using the improper dosage of the drug;
- undiagnosed allergic or genetic condition;
- ignorance of doctors’ instructions;
- interactions with other drugs and traditional medicines;
- interaction with certain foods;
- use of poor-quality drugs.
Peculiarities of a specialist on drug safety
The expert in drug safety has one main task – the study of the side effects on humans. Other functions include:
- He collects, processes and transmisses the information on ADRs with the help of clinical studies, doctors’ reports, patients’s reports;
- analysis of patients’ complaints of drugs;
- organizing a special electronic system, ADRs database maintenance;
- spread of information on ADRs among population;
- further education and training related to the pharmaceutical supervision assessment;
- training young professionals and related organizations;
- monitoring changing requirements of global procedures;
- support existing standard operating procedures, their development and update;
- periodic reports on pharmaceutical supervision;
- archiving data about the safety of medicines.
Pros and cons of the profession
- The high salary;
- demand for the profession;
- an opportunity to take part in the annual International European Congress of experts;
- exchange of experience with colleagues;
- possession of useful information on the drugs safaty and the possibility to use it in the family.
- Inevitable dissatisfaction of some people negatively affected by the NRL;
- high responsibility.